Turning corners with Montenegrin stitch is … complicated? Confusing? Uses a heck of a lot of thread? Yes, yes, and yes. Also not a good place to begin stitching a motif.
Have been working on a flower in the wide Montenegrin band, and the farther along I got with it, the less happy I was with how the first part of it looked – my corners were messy!
So I kept going, trying to figure out how to make those turns look better, and pulling the thread a bit seemed to help and I was able to make the corners more square. Okay, so I’ll go back and redo that first bit. Cut the thread in the middle and … uh oh. I just discovered something else about Montenegrin stitch: while removing stitches going backwards – truly reverse stitching – is doable, going *forward* is terrible! I simply could not unstitch in that direction and felt lucky I was able to tease out about a half inch of thread tail to bury after clipping out all those first turns.
And then I stitched that bit again.
And it still looks messy. (rats!!)
Need to make up my mind whether or not to frog and restitch that section again. One thing though, I got LOTS of practice turning corners - there are OVER 40 right-angle turns in this flower! (um … looks like I missed a connecting stitch – will go back and check the chart, but I’ll put it in even if it’s not charted because the asymmetry will bug me if I dont!)
Hope your weekend’s going well. Thanks for stopping by to visit!