Thursday, April 27, 2017

TUSAL April 2017

Check Sharon’s It’s Daffycat blog for an explanation of the Totally Useless Stitch A Long. CLICK HERE for all the details.

Lots of orts! *TWO* piles of orts this month!


And the Silly Stitching Calendar says I’ve actually stitched (as opposed to just *thinking* about stitching) 17 days since the last TUSAL check in.

Because I completed Jane Turner’s band 8, I allowed myself a new start on something simple. Out of my Other Stitching Bag (which has at least a dozen projects kitted up), I chose to begin Catherine Theron’s 1840 Town House Sampler – a kit I bought from the Gentle Arts/Theron Traditions booth at the 1992 Spirit of Cross Stitch Festival in Saratoga Springs, New York. Why yes, I believe in letting my stitching projects age, sort of like a fine wine (ha!). Anyway, here’s what it looks like. Picture's a bit fuzzy, but you get the general idea, right?


And here’s my start:



Wow – after months of working on 35 count, the 28 count linen for this piece seems huge! It almost feels like I don’t need the cheaters to see it (but yeah, I really do). Interesting tidbit in case you've never taken a class with her: Catherine Theron likes to use big needles. That’s probably an oversimplification, but I remember she really stressed using the appropriate size needle for your fabric, not just automatically reaching for a 26 no matter what the project is. So packaged with that kit was a size 24 needle. I will admit it “fits” the fabric nicely, but at first it felt like I was waving a baseball bat around!

I posted the other day about finishing Jane Turner Band 8 – still doing happy little bounces about that. Here’s Jane in her current entirety – all the outlining on Band 9 is complete and I’m working on the satin stitch filling.


>^..^<

11 comments:

  1. Another great start.
    Jane is beautiful.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. First time stopping by--your Jane Turner is gorgeous! I'm not sure I've ever seen the Catherine Theron piece, but I like it. I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your start looks great :)

    WOW! Your Jane Turner is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet new start
    Jane is so beautiful
    Love and smiles x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice new start. Catherine would not approve of me, I use petite 28s for everything except metallic threads!
    Jane Turner is looking stunning too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, I just love your Jane. Sigh. Just gorgeous. Nice start too. I'm bad about needles -- I always use size 28 petites. :D As for your last post -- good question on which to follow, chart or picture. I really really hate when that happens. They should be the same. I've heard that happen with Scarlet Letter samplers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure it's been fun to start something new! I don't know that I could stitch on 28 ct. any more as I'm so used to 40 ct. (or over one on 28!). I'll bet it does seem large, but you'll have a nice size finish when done.

    Jane is amazing, as always :) Wishing you a happy May!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jane is looking good! And I like the thing about projects aging like fine wine--apparently I feel the same way--not sure about the 24 needle--it would seem like a baseball bat . . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! Jane is fabulous, you've done a lovely job! Your new start looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Deb,

    Beautiful work - Jane is lovely.
    Hope you are enjoying the week
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great new start and wonderful progress on Jane.

    ReplyDelete