Saturday, June 24, 2017

TUSAL June 2017

Sharon’s It’s Daffycat blog will give you a thorough explanation of the Totally Useless Stitch A Long. CLICK HERE for all the details.

No posts in an entire (lunar) month? Rats. And the Silly Stitching Calendar says there have been only 11 stitching days since the last TUSAL check in.

I keep writing and backspacing here, undoing what I’ve typed because it sounds like Jay Stewart describing what’s behind Door Number One (sigh). Two piles of orts this month as there were several of days I just was not up to stitching on Jane.


Band 10 of Jane Turner is finished. It’s a little different with the couched centers of those flowers, a technique that does not appear elsewhere on the sampler. And I can’t help wondering why Jane didn’t fill in those other leaves….



The next band is the one with the trees and the lady and I’m excited to start on it – my needle’s at the first stitch and all ready to go! To whet your appetite a bit, here’s a view that band in the Essamplaire’s reproduction (with apologies to Stitching With Kittens for snagging from her blog as I couldn’t find a similar shot elsewhere), and then again from what I believe is Jane’s own sampler. Pretty, no?



The other orts came from work on the border vine on Catherine Theron’s 1840 Town House Sampler, which has now rambled down both sides and is ready to go across the bottom … and it lines up – always a relief. Am debating whether to stitch the berries (? rosebuds?) in Smyrna cross or perhaps Algerian eye with one thread – just so it’s a bit more interesting. Where it was last time I showed you, and where it is now:




>^..^<

7 comments:

  1. The couched flower centers are very interesting; I like that look! And your satin stitches in the small circular petals are perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane is looking great!
    Can't wait to see the next band.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely stitching :) Perhaps she got bored of the little leaves and wanted to get on to the next band like you do?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely band! And I agree, I think she got tired of the little leaves and moved on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jane does look wonderful, I'm giggling at her getting bored with the leaves!
    Nice work on the vine too, it's always a relief when a border connects with itself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! I just love seeing this sampler! The next part is amazing! How exciting! Love Catherine Theron too! Nice progress on that sampler.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh--you're coming to the fun part of your sampler, Deb! And the latest band looks wonderful, too :) Good for you for sticking with this giant project!

    ReplyDelete