Thursday, September 21, 2017

TUSAL September 2017

Sharon’s It’s Daffycat blog will give you a thorough explanation of the Totally  Useless Stitch A-Long.  CLICK HERE  for all the details.


It feels like I got a lot accomplished this lunar month even though my Silly Stitching Calendar says I’ve had only 15 stitching days since the last new moon.  I’m thinking that’s because I was able to finish filling in all those (so very tedious) leaves on Jane’s Lady Band and then went on to do a bit of the fun stuff.

So good at planning – that’s me.  Since it’s the most complicated part of the sampler, I had read the instructions for this band and looked at photos and the chart and thought and read and looked and thought some more.  I came up with what I thought was a good plan – to do the filling stitches in three sections, left to right, keeping everything neat and reducing the chance of mangling some bit I’d already stitched.  Sounds good, right?  Yeah, well, I finished filling in the leaves on the left side tree and tossed my plan out the window.

Tree trunks are filled in with trellis using a blended needle.  I do not recommend using a blended needle to do trellis – makes it about three times as hard to figure out where to put the next stitch.  Started working on the two spiral trellis-filled flowers last night – spent a half hour trying to stitch them as called for in the instructions and ended up frogging the whole bit as it looked like garbage.  Restarted on the second ring of the flower – must decide whether to do the outer petals in satin or something else … fans of bullion stitches perhaps?  Suggestions, anyone?  But am hoping to next outline the lady’s dress.  Maybe.  (Oh dear, another plan!  But maybe I can stick to this one.)



Not too much progress on LHN’s Season’s Greetings ornament though I did work on it once or twice. (EDIT:  oops - had wrong picture - this is right)
  


>^..^<

7 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks like a time-consuming band, but it looks great!
    That is going to be a cute ornament.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such patience and time required for this piece, Deb--wow! I just love all the specialty stitches, though--they will add even more to an already amazing design :)

    Enjoy your first weekend of fall (although it feels more like summer, doesn't it?!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful stitching Deb. I look forward to seeing it when it is finished. RJ@stitchingfriendsforever

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just amazing. I love seeing your progress on this piece. Just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The trellis stitch does look gorgeous for all the work you put into it.
    When in doubt - do more outlining while you think!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The leaves are beautiful--and I agree--do more outlining while you think about the rest of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh, your Jane looks beautiful!! She is a wip of mine also...you just might inspire me to pull her out again...

    ReplyDelete