Sunday, May 5, 2019

I've been working on stuff.....


I want to thank everyone who commented on my earlier post and made suggestions about what to stitch next – I really appreciate every bit of input!

If you’ve been reading my blog for a while, you know I tend to be a monogamous stitcher.  This can be good because I don’t end up with a lot of WIPs/UFOs, but it can also be bad because when I get sick a bit tired of a project and don’t want to work on it, it can mean not stitching at all.  Which is Very Not Good.

Hand in hand with that particular tendency (failing?), I’ve never really done well with rotations.  But there’s a first time for everything, right?  Perhaps the issue is that any previous rotation I’ve tried has not been structured in a manner that worked for me.

Thanks to my indecisiveness, I’ve come up with a sort of rotation that I think might work.  Either that, or I’ve just found a way to justify starting a whole lot of different project starts!

Since I don’t normally stitch every day, a rotation that assigns each day of the week a different project is … not optimal.  Here’s what I came up with:


As you can sort of see, each project has several lines of empty blocks, arranged in rows of five, and the plan is this:  Every time I work on a project, I note the date in its next open block.  If I feel like working on that same project the next night / next time I stitch, that’s fine, but if I want to work on something different, that’s okay too.  If I work on the same piece five stitching days in a row, I will consider moving to another piece the next time I stitch, but I don't have to change. 

My hope is that this not-really-a-rotation will satisfy my desire to plug away at one thing, but also spice things up a bit and keep me from getting tired of whatever I’m working on.  And I might even get more projects completed.

So far, this non-rotation rotation has generated two new starts.  That’s two new starts in one week.  And there are several more projects ready to go and just waiting to be added to the list.  I just need to make sure to keep at least one small project going so that I get an occasional finish.

The new starts?  Mary Goodburn and the Acorn Sampler Sewing Case - pictures soon!  Goat Load is kitted up and waiting its chance, and the Cluny Unicorn is all contained in its own tote bag but needs a bit more prep work.  Silly me did not realize that NEARLY EVERY SYMBOL on the scary, solid -coverage chart is for a BLENDED needle.  When that little item of information finally hit home, I ordered the floss label stickers that go with the chart.  These dodads go on one’s floss bobbins and show the chart symbol plus the DMC thread numbers that make up that color.  I’m thinking a weekend afternoon playing paper dolls putting stickers on floss bobbins is in order before putting a needle into this mammoth project.  Gridding at least a section of the fabric may also be in order. - do you ever do that?

I’m also thinking that Betsy Davis needs her own bag as she is currently in a very thick pocket folder and will no doubt require more space once begun (I know I have more tote bags somewhere…).  Yes, I’m itching to start working on her too.  Perhaps I’ve gone crazy in my old age.

Or maybe I just want to make some more progress on my far-beyond-SABLE stash.


>^..^<

9 comments:

  1. Good luck with your system Deb, I'll be interested in seeing how it works for you......and your projects progressing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those floss labels will be such a help. I can't imagine having to blend the threads all the time but what a gorgeous result they will be. I am a single project stitcher too and I am afraid to rotate for fear I will never go back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have selected a lot of great projects.
    I hope your system works for you.
    I've never gridded, but I guess if I did a large, intricate design, I might.
    I have enough WIPS, so I can't justify making more WIPS with Stitch Maynia!
    Have a great week!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is hoping your new system works well for you! I look forward to see your projects/progress in future posts. Have a marvelous day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope your new system works for you. I like to have a few that I can pick and chose from. I'm trying to write down my start and finish dates but I forget to do that!! You look well organized.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with your new stitching schedule; I hope it gives you enough of a variety to stitch but not so many WIPs that you feel bogged down by them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope your new rotation idea works for you. I'm very monogamous, as you have been up till now. When I get into a "I'm tired of this project" mood, I put on an audiobook. Usually the interest in the audiobook helps me power through, and then I'm fine with the project again! :D Having said that, I also find it super nice to have a small WIP waiting for me when I finish a project and don't know what to work on next! I look forward to watching your progress with your new projects.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like this rotation idea. I have never gridded because I tend to stitch the whole of one area before moving on to the next. With projects with lots of blends I make a thread holder just for the blends and add one length of each colour to that. I tend to do each symbol as I come across them rather than spend a whole hour at the start of the project. Just impatient to get going!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look at you, all organized and stuff! I hope you get lots of stitching done and enjoy every stitch!

    ReplyDelete