Sunday, April 14, 2019

And now for ... what?


Lately I’ve been working on LHN’s Seasons Greetings when I have both the time and energy to stitch, which has been far too seldom recently.  And while working, my mind is greatly occupied by the what-to-stitch-next conundrum. 

I’ve rooted through the main stash as well as the readily-to-hand stash (this is a real and very intentional distinction).  Of course I want to stitch it ALL, and fondling perusing all the pretties makes me want to stitch it all RIGHT NOW!!

There are … I suppose I could whittle it down to four.  There are four things I want to start.  Two are samplers Wonderful Husband gifted me with, one is a full-coverage piece (also a gift from WH), and the last is another sewing case.

Oh, better make that FIVE.  I have succeeded in acquiring the chart for Goat Load from Plum Street Samplers and want to stitch it over one as a Christmas ornament since goats are the subject of a longstanding joke between Wonderful Husband and myself. 

But how do I decide??!!

What’s that?  You can’t give out advice without seeing what I’m talking about?  Okay.

Sampler #1, aka Mary Goodburn
Not tiny, but all cross stitch and should stitch up relatively quickly.  And Mary looks like a fun stitch with lots of bright colors.


Sampler #2, aka Betsy Davis
Can’t work on this one in the winter since my hands get so dry I’d shred the silks, but it IS springtime now.  In my personal classification system, Betsy falls under the Large and Complicated heading.  She is supposed to finish up at 13 by 15, and even though she’s on 25 count (which will likely feel like I’m working on burlap since I normally prefer higher count fabrics), she will undoubtedly take quite a while to stitch.  No new stitches to learn, but there are lots of Queen stitches (which I like, but they're time consuming) plus sections that are freehand embroidery (why does that worry me so?).  Not sure I want to do another Large and Complicated yet, but I’ve loved this sampler going on twenty-five years now….


Full coverage – Cluny Unicorn detail
When I start this, it will be with the knowledge that I will NOT be monogamous with this piece, even though I’m essentially a one-at-a-time stitcher.  I’ve never done a full-coverage piece before and know I will need breaks.  Perhaps a great many breaks.


Ellen Chester’s (With My Needle) Acorn Sampler Sewing Case
Um, yes.  Apparently I *need* to have a sewing case in process.  While this piece has been kitted for several years and has been in my easily-accessed, do-these-really-soon project bag for well over a year, now that I’ve finally finish-finished a sewing case, this one’s voice has gotten considerably louder.  Perhaps it’s all those squirrels….


Goat Load
This should be a reasonably quick stitch, even over one.  But this small project will require Thought prior to beginning.  Many of the called-for colors are Classic Colorworks (Crescent Colours), and since my stash contains very few of those threads, substitutions will be necessary.



Oh wait.  Forgot about this one.  If you blow up the picture, you can see that I wrote “completed 13 July ‘92” on the pattern.  I really did stitch this guy.  I know where I worked on him most often (on the bench by the caboose in downtown Vienna , Virginia, where we used to live, stitching and keeping one eye on the kids as they clambered all over old railroad car), and I specifically remember doing his beard and adding the stars once the regular stitching was done, but as I was undecided about how to finish the back, I never cut him out.  Instead, I put him in a Safe Place.  He’s in such a safe place that I’ve looked in every reasonable place and a number of unreasonable places with no sight of the guy. 

Actually, I feel pretty lucky that I found the pattern and picture and for several years they were in hiding also!  I do have some tan perforated paper in the stash, so I’d just need to match DMC colors to the picture – you can see that the colors have names only in the thread list.  I have several other early kits in this series, but haven’t been able to bring myself to do any of the others until this first one is complete.


Thoughts?  Suggestions?

Thanks for stopping by and listening to me ramble.


>^..^<

9 comments:

  1. Hmmm, what to choose?!?!?! From the 'large' pile, Mary Goodburn or from the small pile, I would say Goat Load while you are figuring out threads for the Santa. I look forward to seeing what you pick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any are great choices...perhaps one each day of the week...Monday-Saturday..and Sunday can be whatever you feel like??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vote for Acorn Sampler Sewing Case, love that one, and love Ellen's designs.
    Maybe you could focus on that one, but work on Mary Goodburn between?
    Or, you could just close your eyes & pick!! :)
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well you have a lot to keep you busy for a while. I like the Ellen Chester´s needlecase best and also the gorgeous Goat Load. It will be interesting to see what you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, those are some hard choices, Deb! I always have a larger (for me--small for you :) project going at the same time as a small pillow or ornament. Maybe Goat Load and one of the larger ones?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm the are all wonderful Deb. Ok I would pick Mary Goodburn because I love stitching letters and samplers. And for a smaller piece I would pick Goat Load like many others have done. It is so adorable. I hope you find your Santa ... he is fabulous. Please stop by to see us...we are finally back after six weeks of illness. And, we missed you. RJ@stitchingfriendsforever

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you should start Betsy Davis since this is the perfect time of year for her. Maybe alternate with one of the others?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I say Betsy Davis, that should keep you busy for a while... maybe with Santa on the side?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Firstly I had to smile that you have 'only' half a dozen or so projects that are all crying for immediate attention! You certainly have a difficult decision to make and I hope you are happy with whichever one you choose. :)

    ReplyDelete