Wednesday, April 10, 2019

At long last....



Rachel at Ten Hour Stitcher (LINK) is our host for this compltely brilliant SAL.  Thanks again, Rachel, for the much needed kick in the pants! 

This one requires a little history.  In 1995, I was able to attend the Spirit of Cross Stitch Festival in Valley Forge.  It was the second time I’d gone to SOCS and this time I not only knew what my class projects looked like *before* class started, I was prepared for the awesome merchandise mall.  By that I mean I was ready to look for charts and supplies for classes from a previous year that I’d fallen in love with.  One of the charts I picked up was Merry Cox’s Sampler Sewing Case.  After a minor debate with myself, I also bought the SOCS video class with Merry since the project was a similarly designed sewing case.

Understand that the intent behind purchasing the video was to get detailed finishing instruction for the other chart – I had no intention of stitching the case in the video.

Are you laughing yet?

Of course at some point after finishing the first sewing case, I ended up contacting Merry in order to acquire her materials kit for the case in the video.  The original sampler case was stitched in 1997 and fully finished shortly thereafter.


While working on the second sampler case, I decided I wanted it to be different from the first one – my chart has so many notes and ideas in the margins!  The plan was to turn Merry’s normal mattress pincushion into a pocket.  And oh, while I’m at it, let’s make the needlebook a bit snazzier too.

Stitching for this small was finished in (*cough*) 2003.  Ever since, it’s been rolled up and tucked carefully into my (Merry Cox SOCS class) Shaker Box with a number of my completed smalls, patiently waiting for me to go through my making-quilts frenzy and come back to stitching.

 
(This is Merry’s case – screenshots from video class)

A few years ago I got a bug to finish the sewing case.  For some reason, I’d thought it was larger than the first case.  Nope.  As charted, it's not even as big as the first one.  So there was pondering as to how to enlarge it without losing the original feel of the project (and also without broad expanses of blank linen).  I trawled eBay to acquire more of one of the project threads, DMC flower thread (long gone from LNS inventories), then planned and stitched a border.

And then I got cold feet.

Really, what had I been thinking?  A tool-holding pouch with a flap closure in this itty-bitty case?  Back into the Shaker box it went so it could … age a bit more.

Enter Rachel’s SAL (*whoops and cheers and applause*), which got me seriously thinking about this project again.  Preparing to work on the project required some serious advance planning steps, beginning with figuring a way to transfer the video file to my laptop which does not have an integral DVD drive.  Hey, at least it was *on* a DVD rather than a now-useless VHS tape thanks to Wonderful Husband.

For the past few weekends I’ve disappeared into the back bedroom (where sewing machine, ironing board, and other essentials reside) for an hour or so a day.  Yes, in addition to being a slow stitcher, I’m a slow finisher as well.

Now when one is off the instructions map, one needs mock ups and templates to ensure plans and ideas work.  Especially when one’s design is way too fancypants for one’s own good.

  

That tiny bit of paper with staples is my pocket model and the other paper is my pattern.  I even basted the pieces to the outer case this time!


I changed the poem just a touch since I saw no reason to break words across two lines.


On the inside bits, I stitched the letters over one so there would be room for more information ... and so I could put designs and words on the undersides of those flaps.  I also added a strap to better secure my scissors - when Merry shows off her Sampler Sewing Case #1 in the video, you can see she made a scissor strap for that one, though I don't think it's called for in either pattern.


Rather than nun’s edged linen needlepages, I used felted wool to better protect my needles and pins from rust - our climate is more humid than I'd like.


Here's that pesky double pocket that took so long to go from wisp of idea to reality.


Even though I didn’t want to add all the bows that Merry used on her case, I thought the waxer pouch was a good place for the little bow charm.  The drawstring on the other pouch is made from some of the silk ribbon provided to make those triple bows (see pics of Merry's case) – they were a bit too frou-frou for me.


Happy dancing!  Certainly it took me long enough to finish this piece, but I'm generally pleased with the result.

Thanks for visiting with me today, and for allowing me to ramble.


>^..^<


20 comments:

  1. Such pretty projects Deb. One is prettier than the next. Such excellent stitching too. Have a great week. RJ@stitchingfriendsforever

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your finish!!
    It's beautiful.
    probably s lot of work, but oh so worth it.
    Love the color too.
    I've been dipping in the UFO bin of shame too lately, and actually finishing some projects.
    Funny how they accumulate, like Bunnies!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful story behind your completed stitch! What a gorgeous set you have created! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love everything about this--the story, the design changes, the finished project! (And I'm happy to know I'm not the only one who has to let things age before finishing them!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopping over from the check in post. What a finish! What a neat story to go with it. You should definitely be proud of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is absolutely stunning! It pays to let things "marinate" sometimes. Well done and congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your back story on this piece....who of us hasn't been there??? But, you persevered and completed a lovely project....job well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just beautiful! I'm glad I'm not the only one who let's things "percolate" for so long as I come up with how to FFO. You must be so happy with this. It is really lovely! And worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful piece! You did an amazing job; planning everything out and then making your dream a reality. Congrats on it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful finish finish! I enjoyed the story behind the finish too. Don't we all do things like this? I know I do! I love Merry Cox -- have taken a couple of classes from her. Your finish is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous!!! I love your color choice. I have never stitched anything that entailed a complicated finish. Yours is exquisite!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a lovely piece of work, beautifully stitched and so nicely finished. love the colours too. you should feel very proud of this great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful story you shared. I have been there but one of them is still in the box of UFOs. Beautiful stitching and finishing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved reading the history of this beautiful finish, Deb! So glad that you finally took the time to finish it and put it to use :) Really, lovely, intricate work you do!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, who says cross stitching can't age like a fine wine? Even the colors suggest it haha. :) It looks like you had a lot of fun fiddling out all the little bits for this and it looks amazing! Is the scissor strap fastened by a little snap or a tiny bit of velcro?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow, what an incredible piece of work. You really did an amazing job of finishing this piece in line with your vision. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So with age comes wisdom?! What a fabulous finish, I hope you have it out and use it every time you stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A belated but big thank you for participating in this month's SAL. Your story about this piece was fascinating and just proves that it's never too late to pull out a UFO and disappear into your craft room to finish it off. And what an absolutely beautiful and intricate finish. I hope using it gives you many hours of pleasure! :)

    ReplyDelete