Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Jane Turner, afterword



As you can see, Jane Turner is now proudly hanging on the wall.  She’s in the living room, just beside the room’s entrance.  Not where I had envisioned her, but Wonderful Husband pointed out that in my chosen location, rather than catching my eye each time I walked by, she would be shadowed and invisible for a good portion of the year.  Sigh.

I did mount her myself, probably more from paranoia than any other reason – I couldn’t even think about handing her over to anyone else without getting queasy!  Here’s the frame I picked.


I used to use unflavored dental floss to mount needlework, but thought I’d see what was recommended and after some internet research, decided on using perle cotton.  After getting my work space prepared, I did the requisite blocking and measuring.


And pinning to the foam core…




… and repinning after turning things front side up.


Of course Harley wanted to help.


Giving in to my overachiever side, I decided that the "recommended" single looooooooooong strand of perle cotton lacing left-to-right and another single stand top-to-bottom was the best way to handle mounting Jane.


Have I mentioned that Jane's 24 inches tall?


I don’t know how a professional laces needlework onto a backing board, but I figured that over time, in-out-in-out would be a lot better for Jane than a single stitch passing through the linen, since this would put much less stress on specific spots in the fabric.


Starting in the middle allowed me to estimate the length needed for the other half - I tried to keep count of how many "pulls" I took.  And it worked ... pretty much, anyway.  I’m pleased with how little of the perle cotton was wasted.  It took nearly an entire ball to do the job.  The full ball below is for comparison so you can see how much was used, and the loose snippets are the bits that were cut off.


Of course the corners are miter-folded.


After a couple of hours (oh, my tired back!), she’s ready for the frame!


Wonderful Husband helped by drilling tiny holes for the small screws used to mount the hanging wire.


Do you get the Scarlet Letter’s newsletter?  If not, this may seem a bit odd.  When the Grace Kemish sampler was from her frame, Marsha discovered that dozens of bay leaves were inside the backing/dust cover.  The stitcher must have known they are a natural bug repellent.  Cool, huh?  Adding some seemed like the right thing to do (hey, it worked for Grace for 200 years!), and we have a *big* container of bay leaves, so I figured, why not?


I filled out and used the little tag supplied by The Essamplaire, and added a brief note of my own, then glued the dust cover to the back of the frame and weighted it.


I may not be making quilts any more, but I know how to put my book and magazine collection to good use!


And here she is in all her framed glory!


Would you believe after all the care taken in getting the stitching mounted properly on the foam core, all the pinning and repinning and checkingcheckingchecking, I didn’t turn the frame over before putting on the backing paper??  Argh.  Yes, I think she is the tiniest bit crooked in the frame.  I will remedy this at some point, but don’t have the heart to do so right now.


>^..^<

13 comments:

  1. Meticulous lacing. You did such a fantastic job! And she is well deserved of such care for her resting place. I don't see a reflection, is she glassed? Is that a tape to prevent contact with the wood?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! I'm impressed with not only the stitched piece but the effort you made in framing it yourself. I frame a lot of my own work but not by lacing, but then they have not been as large or detailed as Jane Turner. I can see why you didn't want to let her out of your sight! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane is beautiful!!
    The frame fits it perfectly.
    I don't see that she is crooked anywhere.
    You did a great job framing her with care.
    Congrats on a huge accomplishment!!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am IMPRESSED!!! What a beautiful job you did--I don't see any wonkiness in the finished presentation at all. You must be so proud--and glad DH persuaded you to put her where you'll see her often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Deb--a fantastic job!!! Jane is absolutely beautiful!!!Your lacing is sheer perfection, so evenly spaced with great coverage. Question..did you lace with one continuous strand of the perle cotton??? I can't imagine working with that long length and am curious how you managed it. I had learned in a class to cut off a good length and then keep tying a new length to it as you go along....very tedious. Jane is a true heirloom!!!


    ReplyDelete
  6. Jane is stunning. I love the frame molding you picked for her. Your lacing looks incredible. I would also be interested in knowing about the one continuous length of perle cotton. Did you thread your needle and leave it attached to the ball? What a perfect spot you picked for her!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, Jane looks fantastic! Your detail in framing is very impressive, she'll be a treasure forever. And I don't notice it being crooked at all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very gorgeous finish. I think you did a wonderful job framing it yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I learned so much from this post!! I found inserting the bay leaves very interesting!! I never knew they were a natural repellant.
    I would have had someone frame such a gorgeous work of art and not tried it myself. You are a true professional framer!! It is gorgeous and will be a family heirloom!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sooooo impressed! Wow! You know your stuff! I need to take some lessons on framing needlework. You did a beautiful job! And bay leaves -- who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhh fantastic that you've framed this yourself. I bet that was a loooooooooong length of thread to do up the lacing indeed! It's interesting to know about the bay leaves. I've heard of mint or ceder being bug repellents but would've never thought to put leaves/shavings in behind the stitching! I bet it feels great to have her hung up and enjoyed. :)))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful work on framing her yourself! She looks perfect to me, can't see any wonkiness at all. I have a lovely framer who I really trust and she does all my bigger pieces.
    Very interesting to hear about the bay leaves too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Deb, Miss Jane is gorgeous! You did such a wonderful job framing her. Great tip about the bay leaves. I too love the frame you chose...suits her perfectly. RJ@stitchingfriendsforever

    ReplyDelete